Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Binding with Pat Sloan

I ran into a friend this weekend that asked me how I bind my quilts.  I told her the same as everyone, sometimes.  I stitch it down from the front, turn and hand stitch it down on the back with itty bitty stitches.  I told her I usually do an easier way for baby quilts and other pieces that will be washed a bunch and are meant to be “used” a lot. 

I promised her I’d share a video to explain it better and here it is.  If you would like to see the tutorial via pictures, Pat Sloan has a tutorial on her blog here: HERE.

Machine Binding with with Aurifil Thread

My only difference is that I don’t use a blanket stitch as often as I use a regular straight stitch.  I usually sew it down with my 1/4” foot letting the inside left-hand edge of the foot run right off the edge of the binding; this places the stitch right on the edge of the binding.  It is very neat and the backside only shows a straight line on the back of the quilt.  You can match your bobbin thread to the backing and it is even harder to see.

Here is a picture of a runner I just finished out of vintage sheets.  I wanted the binding to be 1” on the front to match the 1” white bands between the flowers and stripe pieces. 

This runner will end up on Etsy shortly.  I just adore the prints!!!!

P1040207P1040208P1040211

Ya gotta love the net!

Robbie Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking your time to comment... I just hearing from you!